Saturday, December 3, 2011

Smokey the Cat



In February of this year our next door neighbors moved out, unfortunately due to foreclosure. I guess they could not afford to keep all of their pets because they left at least 2 cats behind. One of these is rather wild, always wandering the neighborhood and we feed him whenever he comes looking for food. The other cat is super friendly. For as long as we've lived here he has come over begging for food and loving on us. He has a damaged eye, I think he can see a little out of it but you could tell he didn't like living outside because of it. When we found out for sure our neighbors were never coming back we decided to adopt him. We named him Smokey because he is a beautiful grey and white cat. I'm so glad we kept him because he is the sweetest, most loving cat I've ever met. He sits in my lap every night, in fact he is unhappy if he's not sitting on one of us! He gets along fine with the other cats after a brief adjustment period and even likes Cash. He had 2 big dogs at his previous house so I'm sure a dog that weighs less than he does is not a threat!

One funny story about Smokey. We were convinced he was a girl, mostly because a year ago in the spring I thought he was pregnant. We hadn't seen him all winter but the previous fall he had been kind of skinny. Guess he gained weight over the winter! Anyway, I was convinced his hard, fat belly was a pregnant one and then not too long after that we kept seeing this adorable grey & white kitten following him around. Every time Smokey came to eat, the kitten followed him. So when we adopted Smokey and took him to the vet I just told them he was a girl instead of having them check. We found out otherwise after they cut him open to spay him! My vet still laughs about that every time she sees us. She says at least she's made that mistake once and won't do it again!


2 comments:

  1. You have a gentle soul:-). He is very sweet and your story about the kitten is one for the memory book. I'm new to your blog but I will be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete