Saturday, January 31, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

This is something going around Facebook, you write 25 things about yourself and "tag" your friends so they can read about you. It's a pretty good way to learn things about people. I'm re-posting mine here for those not on Facebook:

1. I met my husband Darin on eharmony - we were matched in January 2005. I had been on a few months but I was one of his first 5 matches! We met in person that March, were engaged that May, and married that September!

2. Darin and I just sort of got engaged, no one proposed! We were talking about getting married and I told him I always wanted to use my grandmother's engagement ring as mine. So I got it out to show him and then said can I start wearing it now and he said sure and that was that! As they say, we lived happily ever after!

3. I taught myself to knit 2 years ago by watching videos on the internet and now I knit almost every day - I love it, it's so relaxing and I feel proud to wear beautiful things that I've made.

4. I love to be organized and therefore like to do menial tasks such as filing - this usually makes me popular at work!

5. As most of you know I love sports - I grew up watching soccer - the Rogues, Americans, Storm and Rogues again! We had season tickets to the Memphis Chicks from 1984 until they left. I had season tickets for 11 years to Memphis Riverkings hockey and now Darin and I have a season ticket package to the Kansas City Royals. I introduced hockey to Darin and now he loves it too - if only we had a team here!

6. My father was part owner of the Memphis Chicks baseball team in the mid-90's - he owned a very small percentage and kept that ownership when they moved to Jackson, TN. He got a championship ring when they won the Southern League - it says Cubs owner on it because at the time they were a farm team of the Cubs. He shows it off and has tricked many people into thinking he actually owns the Cubs - I wish!!

7. Darin & I were at the San Francisco Giants baseball games when Barry Bonds both tied and broke Hank Aaron's all time home run record. Darin had a business trip to San Jose and we decided to stop in San Diego - bought tickets off of a season ticket holder and saw the tying home run. We had already bought tickets for a game in San Francisco and it just happened to be the night he broke the record. It was the most amazing thing - I hate Barry Bonds and always have but it was so exciting to be part of baseball history, even if it is tainted by his past. I was surprised that I was so excited and thrilled by it. By the way, AT&T Park in San Fransisco is the most beautiful ballpark I've ever seen - it's unbelievable to be watching baseball and looking out over the Bay. Incredible!

8. I was at the final game of the 1992 World Series - game 6 in Atlanta, Braves vs. Blue Jays. I was a fan of both teams but had liked the Blue Jays longer so I was thrilled when they won. That was a surreal experience, to see a World Series end and to watch the players celebrate - it almost didn't feel real.

9. I got to travel so much when I was a kid because of my dad's job with the Commercial Appeal - he was Director of Operations and was in charge of all of the printing side so he went to a lot of newspaper conventions. He took my mom & I with him usually and through his connections would get us tickets to baseball or hockey games in the cities we went to - I have been very fortunate!

10. I hope to have the chance to visit every state - I love to drive through different parts of the country and see how different it all looks - so far I've been to 33 states plus Mexico (only Tiajuana) and Canada.

11. I took a trip to Europe in 1998 by myself - I wanted to go when I could afford it and am so glad I did - may never get there again! I flew to Munich and met up with a tour group - we took a bus through southern Germany, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Austria. It was so beautiful - Prague was my favorite but I also really loved Salzburg, Austria. We took the bus up into the Alps on the next to the last day of the trip and it was super foggy - you couldn't even see a few feet past the side of the bus - it was really kind of scary. We went up to where Hitler used to stay - apparently you could see a lot of Austria and Germany but we couldn't see a thing! I was so sad that I was in the Alps but might as well have been on flat land! It was a great trip though and met a lot of great people on my tour.

12. I love to watch old movies - I think my favorites are those with Humphrey Bogart.

13. I love to garden, I get that love and talent from my mother. We had a huge yard in Memphis and we had huge flowerbeds. I hated leaving it when I moved to Kansas City and can't wait until we have a house here so I can garden again - I have containers of flowers all over my front & back porch in the townhouse we live in. I learned the hard way though that nothing will winter over in a container in this climate - it's just too cold!

14. I'm an avid reader - probably why I was an English major in college. My favorite genre is historical fiction but I also like sci-fi/fantasy - this came about from my Lord of the Rings obsession. I guess I just like books that I can escape to another world in!

15. I had surgery on my bladder when I was in kindergarten - I missed so much school that I should have been kept back but my teacher (Miss Jackie from Harding Wooddale) brought my work to the hospital and helped me with it so that I could keep up and I was able to pass.

16. I have bad allergies and could never have pets growing up but when I moved out on my own was determined to have a cat. I take a lot of allergy medicine to be able to live with them but it's worth it, I love my cats and plan on getting a dog when we have a house with a fenced yard.

17. In high school, with the help of Shannon and JJ, I made up a story that I had a pet ostrich that I kept in my back yard - I think I convinced Jason Brumley that it was true! It's name was supposed to have been Otto. I was very silly!

18. I went to the University of Memphis because of my love of Tigers basketball! I was going to Union University and I remember sitting on the couch with my friend Bobby, who was also a Tigers fan, watching them in the Elite 8 in '91 (I think). I remember thinking, I could be there watching those games in person, why am I in Jackson, TN!! LOL. I also got bored at Union very quickly but it was the basketball that pulled me home. I'll never regret it and am proud to be a Memphis alumnus. It was fun being there at the same time as Penny Hardaway!

19. Now the bad part of being a Tiger - I married a die-hard Jayhawk fan - didn't know that was going to be a problem when I married him!! Oh well, at least the Tigers lost to my 2nd favorite team, it just sucks to see Jayhawk championship stuff everywhere I go - even got taunted by a driver the other day, he was making fun of my Tigers sticker.

20. My cousin Nycki and I have a dream to one day open an antiques store/coffee shop - maybe even a yarn shop. Maybe if we ever live in the same city it could happen!

21. I would love to live in England even though I've never been there. I feel like I lived there in another life or something because of all of the books I've read and movies and tv shows I've seen that are set there. My ancestors are from England and Scotland and I guess I still have their blood in my veins.

22. I am part Cherokee - 1/16 I think, I'd have to check with my mom on that - a lot of her family was Cherokee and her step-dad was even a Cherokee chief - his Indian name was Chief Running Horse.

23. I worked for a year as a medical transcriptionist, I loved the work but hated the hours. If I have kids then I'll probably go back to it so that I can stay home with them.

24. I had a crush on Darth Vader when I was a little kid - I told you I was silly!

25. I got a Camaro for high school graduation - my dad had made a deal with me when I started high school that if I got a scholarship to college he would buy me a car. Pretty sweet deal! I miss that car.

No comments:

Post a Comment