Sunday, January 4, 2009

End of the Holidays

So I'm pretty glad the holidays are over even though I'm not looking forward to January & February - the 2 most depressing months of the year. Back in Memphis they didn't bother me so much since it started turning to spring in February and I had hockey to go to. Go figure, I move to an actual winter climate and there's no hockey team here! Not true, there is KU Jayhawks club hockey & they play just down the street but it's about 30 degrees in the building they play in so it's just about too cold to go to very often. I'm sure we'll go to at least one game though. I really wish KC would get an NHL team or at least a minor league hockey team. Independence is getting a CHL team which will be fun since the Riverkings are in that league. I can drag out my old gameworn R'king jersey with the puck marks all over it and wear it over there - I don't think they'll have a team for another year or 2 though. We did see the arena being built when we headed out of town for Christmas; at least it's next to the highway so it will be easy for us to get to albeit 45 minutes away!

I'm just not looking forward to the bitter cold & snow/ice of the Jan/Feb months - at least that's what we had the past 2 winters and it doesn't look like this year will be any different. And there's nothing to look forward to until March - my birthday and NCAA basketball tourney (praying Memphis & Kansas keep playing well & make tournament again but praying they don't play each other again - that was TOO much drama!). Oh well, it will be kind of nice to get back to the normal routine. Poor Darin though, he was on vacation for the last 3 weeks! I can't imagine how hard it will be for him to get up tomorrow!

We do have good tv to look forward to, as pathetic as that sounds. 24, Lost and Battlestar Galactica will all be back in the next few weeks - that will help get through the cold winter nights!!!

I also got some new books to read - my mother-in-law & sister-in-law each bought me a Philippa Gregory book - books 2 & 3 in the Wideacre series that I haven't read yet - and I used some of my Christmas money & Borders coupon to buy book 1. Too bad I had just started another book so they will have to wait a little while.

I also have several knitting projects that I'm working on - several upcoming birthdays and new babies so I need to figure out what I'm doing for those. I'll post more on knitting later - that's a whole post in and of itself!

I'm going to go make some macaroni & cheese from scratch for supper now - yummy! We deserve it after putting away all the Christmas decorations today. By the way, Darin made an inventory of all of our Christmas decorations when we got it all out and putting it away was so much faster & easier because of it! I highly recommend doing that, especially if you have a ton like we do (27 boxes including the trees, gift wrap & tins)!

2 comments:

  1. That mac and cheese was wonderful! Anybody else reading this, I highly suggest getting the recipe. You will not be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete