Saturday, January 17, 2009

Knitting a Hat

So I've been busy knitting this week. Earlier in the week I finished a scarf I was making for myself - it is out of turquoise colored mohair. I started off making a longer scarf but messed up several times and it didn't look quite right so I started ripping the stitches out. I decided to instead make it into a short little scarf/neck-warmer. It just wraps around the neck and then has a row of buttons at the edge - I used some of the buttons from my grandmother's button jar. It looked pretty cute and all the girls at work loved it. I wore it over a black sweater & left it on all day - it makes a nice accessory.

Wednesday night I started making a hat. This is my first attempt at knitting something round - the pattern calls for using 5 double pointed needles plus cabling so at any given time I'm using 6 needles at once!! This was hard for me to get the courage up to attempt it, but after a couple of times around, it didn't really bother me. This is also my first attempt at reading a knitting chart. The first night I couldn't even figure it out but Friday I sat down to read it & figured it out pretty quickly. Friday it was cold, snowy and there was a season 4 of Battlestar Galactica marathon on so I sat on the couch & knitted all day! Pretty awesome day. Saturday evening I finished the hat only to find that it was too small!! I kind of had that feeling but was hoping it would stretch out enough after I got it off the needles. Alas, it wasn't so. And it had turned out so beautifully too! The cables were perfect, I couldn't believe it came out so pretty but too small! Oh well. I ripped it out & started over on larger needles. I will just have to check it sooner th

is time. I found the pattern on http://www.ravelry.com and looked through what others had done on this hat so hopefully I'm using a better size needle this time. If it comes out, I'll post a picture.

It's now Saturday night and I'm on my 3rd movie of the day. I watched Miss Potter this afternoon while Darin was watching KU basketball. It was a really good movie - I love Beatrix Potter's books and it was neat to see her story - sad & sweet at the same time. Then tonight we watched In Bruges. It was ok - parts of it were funny. Bruges looks like a beautiful town - I'm sure they have had a lot more tourists since the movie came out. It's very medieval looking, which I love. Maybe I'll get to see it one day. Now we are watching Army of Darkness. Darin really likes this movie & I've never seen it. We had it recorded on the DVR. I don't really know what's going on. Parts of it are funny - basically the parts I already knew about. We'll see. I'm halfway paying attention as I blog & knit.

I'm thinking of knitting something and seeing if I can sell it on www.etsy.com - I'm trying to watch some scarves on there to see how much they sell for. It would be nice to make a little money off of something I enjoy doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment